Friday, January 23, 2009

First Amendment apparently doesn't apply to the courts

NJ rules against church group in gay rights case - Yahoo! News

A gay couple wanted to get married on church property. When they were denied, they sued and won.

I'm not a big proponent of a slippery slope theory, but this action starts to make me think that very soon, so-called "gay rights" groups are going to force churches to marry gay couples regardless of the churches' beliefs. I've even heard that there's a movement to have churches' tax-exempt status be revoked if they don't marry gay couples.

If what I heard is correct about Connecticut, apparently they refuse to accept a "civil union" status even if it is precisely the same as marriage. Apparently saying that it's discrimination that some can be married by law and some can't.

I'd just as soon see the legal idea of marriage be eliminated and everyone be in civil unions. The term marriage implies a religious ceremony and, in my mind, entails a violation of the First Amendment's prohibition against respecting an establishment of religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home