Friday, November 04, 2005

Taking Cole Porter a Little Too Far...

"I love Paris in the summer, when it sizzles."

It may not be summer, but Paris certainly is sizzling. I wonder, though, if the unchecked - and supposedly spreading - violence is not merely a slightly starker form of what is already unchecked violence in France, or the beginnings of a true general uprising against the French government? Many are already applying the label "Intifada" to what's going on - and I can't really say I blame them all that much. Will the French grow a backbone - or continue to try and appease the "discontented youths" rampaging through the main link between Paris and the outside world, Charles de Gaulle International Airport?

UPDATE: Whoops. Looks like it has. I hate to seem prescient (I'm not), so I can't really in honesty say "I told you so." Here's hoping the French cabinet starts listening to Msr. Sarkozy post haste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home