Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Should we have gone to Iraq? My comments

I think that implementing Operation Iraqi Freedom was probably a mistake. I'll place joint blame on the President and the CIA. Bush seemed to be itching to finish what daddy started, and the CIA pulled something out of their ass to respond. Bush should have investigated the claims of illegal weapons in Iraq, and the CIA should have acted more responsibly. [Given side discussion, I'd like to restate what I said. It seemed that several international agencies had thought the same thing that the CIA did. Whether that was because we said that or not, I cannot say. My statement about Bush "finishing what daddy started" comes from a statement I had heard on the order of a two-for-one Afghanistan-Iraq deal in the Middle East. I felt strongly against this idea, and later, Bush went with it. My statement was more reactionary than not.]

Do I think there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Probably. They're likely now in Syria. Saddam probably put them there while we were being stalled in the U.N. I wouldn't be surprised if Syria's pullout from Lebanon was partially out of fear that the U.S. would find Iraq's weapons in their possession and Syria would likewise be a defined region instead of a country.

Is Iraq better off without Saddam? Without a doubt. He was a ruthless dictator that served to endanger that part of the world more effectively than serving his own country. It's a good thing his sons were killed. He was ruthless, but his sons were crazy AND ruthless. A very bad pairing. Should we have gone in like we did to depose Saddam? Probably not. Is Iraq better NOW? No. It's going to take a good long time to rebuild Iraq and put them on their own feet.

Should we continue to be in Iraq? Yes, until they are able to implement their own laws effectively. Should we be there long? I certainly hope not. I do agree with Bush's statement, that a pullout schedule is detrimental to the efforts in Iraq. I, however, also agree with Senator Hagel that there should be a pullout plan in place to be implemented at the proper time. We've been flying by the seat of our pants in this campaign for too long. It's time to get an act together. When should we pull out? When they're good and ready to take control themselves. I want us to leave as soon as possible?

What about the American servicemen/women lost? I think it's a tragedy for each life lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. In fact, it's a great tragedy when any American military personnel lose their lives in combat, or in any situation. Who should we blame? The insurgents and terrorists who are killing them. There have been times that I almost want to say to the Iraqis, "You don't want us around? You want your country to go to shit? Well, then fine. Let's go. That way, you'll have to work harder to kill us." I dislike insurgents, but at least they're mostly fighting for a cause. We are a foreign force in their homeland. I would be ticked too. Who I REALLY hate are the terrorists. They CLAIM to have an agenda, but it seems to have been lost in carbon-copy, worthless rhetoric, including zionistic stuff and evil-doing in general. I do find it amusing how well they can say the same things in so many distinct ways, though. It's fairly difficult to say potato in more than two ways while still allowing people to understand you.

I am proud of the American people's viewpoint of the military today. I look at Iraq, and I share the same fears that this could become another Vietnam, at least in the public eye, and I see the hatred that the American people had toward the men and women who have sacrificed their lives for this country. I relish every yellow ribbon on cars that I see, and the service flags I've started seeing on people's rear windows. Right now, America, in general, supports and celebrates our troops. I do not want to see that go away.

Should my rant stop? Yea. I can't really think of anything right now. Maybe comments can alter this position, though...

1 Comments:

Blogger Radin said...

Very sound comments.

1:44 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home